Thursday, January 20, 2011

American Idol 2011 - New judges & hopefuls!

Finally! American Idol is back and I for one love the new judging panel. You have the Rock Icon, the Pop Star and the Producer - 3 judges that totally get and understand what these singers are going through by putting themselves out there to be critiqued. It really showed. The show seemed warmer and just better overall. The judges critique was very constructive, not only for those auditioning on the show but also to those aspiring singers out there watching. I found the chemistry between the 3 judges very good. Tyler showed that he can be harsh and also can be swayed if someone showed him the desire. JLo showed a soft side that I liked, even when the singer needed to do something other than try to sing as a career.

The NJ auditions brought it. With talent from nearby states NY, PA, etc., they wound up sending 51 singers to Hollywood. Could an Idol finally come from the NorthEast? Time will tell.

Of the singers we saw:
Rachel Zevita has a good look and attitude but I found her voice a bit quirky.
Caleb Hawley has a really good voice but I'm interested to see what he can do with other styles.
Kenzie Palmer has a great voice! Only 15? Wow, I was impressed. She was real cute.
Then there was Tiffany Rios. The girl has a very good voice but she needs to tone down her wannabe Snooki personality down if she wants to make it not only into the top 12 but just in general. She was too way over the top and too focused on her big bodyparts. Hard to take her serious when she isn't doing the same. JLo tried to convey that to her, we'll find out in Hollywood if she got the message.
Robbie Rosen had a great story and I really liked his desire and attitude. Really nice voice and performance. He has a lot of potential.
I found Ashley Sullivan's voice only ok but she won me (and the judges) over with her unbridled enthusiasm and desire. I really felt how much she wanted it and I think she made the judges remember how much they wanted it when they started.
Victoria Huggins was very cute and bubbly. Great positive personality and nice voice. I wonder how she'll do in Hollywood. I think Hollywood will be too much for her. I hope she proves me wrong though.
Day 1 ended with Melinda Ademi and I really liked her parent's story of leaving Kosovo and how America was their golden ticket. Really nice. For how much some people talk about our country, it is stories such as these that show us how good we have it here and how much opportunity, hope and freedom is here for people of other countries. Melinda had a really nice look and voice. I'm happy she made it through to Hollywood.

Day 2 of the NJ auditions brought us:
Waitress Devyn Rush who had a real nice voice but I agree with the judges that she needs an image makeover to look the part that her voice presents.
I really liked Briell Von Hugel's story of her and her Dad (and his battle with throat cancer). Their closeness reminded me of me and my daughters. I really liked her voice and she has a nice sweet look. I'm rooting for her!
The show ended with local Bronx boy Travis Orlando. He obviously has had a rough childhood (although I think it represented the Bronx in a rather bad light but that's his story and journey, not mine) but it has molded him into a mature kid. I like how well spoken he was and how he portrayed himself. He has a very good voice and his voice and look reminded me of Bruno Mars which is a rather good person to be compared to!

I look forward to tonight's auditions from New Orleans!

No comments: