Tuesday, March 1, 2011

American Idol - the Top 12 males sing for our votes

Last night, we finally had the Top 12 males sing for our votes. I think that the females are much stronger this season so I was looking forward to seeing who would step up and claim their spots. Some definitely took the moment to put their stamp on the show and let the other guys (and girls) know that they were ready to compete!

I like the new set, it helps prepare them for the show with the bigger feel and bigger audience. The band sounded tight too. When we got our first look at the judges as they walked out, their star power really struck me. Definitely had a bigger feel with having Simon, Kara and Ellen replaced by music stars JLo and Steven Tyler.

Clint Jun Gamboa went first and he did "Superstitious". He's not a favorite of mine but he was good, just a bit too over the top.

Jovany Barreto did "I'll be". His voice sounded thin. I agreed with Randy that it was just ok and that the ending had a karaoke feel.

Jordan Dorsey did "OMG". He tried but Usher he is not in voice or performance. I felt he did the worst of the night and when we heard the replay of the performances at the end of the show, it was confirmed.

Tim Halperin did "Streetcorner symphony". I like him and I think the song choice was good but something about his singing of it was way off with the music. Sounded very subpar.

Brett Loewenstern did "Light my fire". I'm a fan of Brett's and he had good vocals but the song choice was weird IMO. I just don't see him doing that type of music as an artist so I found it entertaining but not believeable doing it.

James Durbin did "You got another coming". That was cool to hear a Judas Priest song on AI! The band did it well too. I had lots of complaints about the last band so I was happy to hear the music yesterday. Good stuff! Great song choice & performance for James.

Robbie Rosen did "Angel". Nice version although it sounded somewhat Broadway-ish. Sweet vocals though. Robbie's just got a smooth voice. He reminds me of Barry Manilow in lots of ways.

Scotty McCreery did "Letters from home". Good performance.

Stefano Langone did "Just the way u are". Good performance but a little pitchy, especially when he went into his higher register. Hit a really bad high note too. Should've done something different to avoid that bad high note.

Paul McDonald did "Maggie May". Very good song choice for his voice and image. I really liked it.

Jacob Lusk did "A house is not a home" by the late great Luther Vandross. Jacob amazes me. In all my years following AI (which is from the beginning), Jacob is the first to give me goosebumps every time he sings. He just has the gift to reach into the emotion of a song and let it spill out for us lucky listeners. He is my favorite singer this season. I can't ever see him being in danger on the show and I pick him as the winner right now.

Casey Abrams did "I put a spell on you". Great performance. I love his style and fearlessness on stage.

I see Clint and Jordan in danger.

No comments: