Wednesday, May 2, 2012

American Idol takes on the 60s & BritPop

Tonight's theme on AI was the Idols taking on the 60s and also BritPop songs. which is kind of strange since I don't think we'll see the Idols doing these styles with their careers. Anyhow, Lil Steven was this week's mentor

Hollie sang "River deep, mountain high" by Ike n Tina Turner. She sounded great.

Phillip sang "The Letter" by The Box Tops. I didn't like the arrangement he came up with for such a classic song.

Skylar sang "Fortunate Son" by CCC. She rocked it! Love her energy.

Joshua and Phillip sang "You've lost that loving feeling" by The Righteous Brothers. Joshua totally blew away Phillip in vocals and performance. I wonder if Phillip's health issues are really starting to show in his performances?

Jessica sang "Proud Mary" by Ike n Tina Turner. Great performance! Randy didn't like it in comparison to Tina but JLo was correct in saying that this is about her journey.

Joshua sang "Ain't too proud to beg" by The Temptations. Was good but I found him screaming too much.

After the 60s round, I give round 1 as a draw between Skylar and Jessica.

Time for the BritPop! Hollie started if off and sang "Bleeding love" by Leona Lewis. Sounded great. She's really picking it up when she needs to.

Phillip sang "Time of the season" by the Zombies. Except for his faces, he was really laid back and good in this song.

Jessica, Hollie and Skylar sang "Your love keeps lifting me higher" by Jackie Wilson.

Skylar sang "You don't have to say you love me" by Dusty Springfield. Really good!

Jessica sang "You are so beautiful" by Joe Cocker. Cheesy setting but very nice vocals.

Joshua sang "To love somebody" by the Bee Gees. Really good especially the beginning.

I give the BritPop round 2 as a draw between Joshua and Hollie.

Everyone was really good tonight except for Phillip who was solid but not at his best which I suspect is because of his health. If I had to pick a bottom 2 based on tonight though it would be Phillip and Joshua with Phillip going home BUT I think Hollie is being poised to go next. I don't see the judges showing her the support that the others are getting so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

No comments: