Thursday, February 21, 2008

Semi-finals Night 1 - the girls

So, the girls went last night and Simon was still in his nasty mood. So much for the nice Simon of the auditions. Honestly, when he is in his better moods, he gives much better advice and even pays better attention than he does once the show actually gets underway. Strange.

The girls were a mixed bunch, some were good and some not so much, but at least Ryan gave us a heads up that a bunch of them were sick. However, we were only actually told about one of the girls being sick once the show began. It might've helped to know all the girls who were sick to better be able to evaluate them fairly.

Well, here are my thoughts on the girls voices and performances.

Kristy Lee Cook looked sick (she was the one that was publicly mentioned on the show as being sick) and her voice seemed to suffer because of it. Very pretty girl though. Hopefully she gets a bye this week because of being sick.

Joanne Borgella was not very good. Her voice seemed very thin as she got higher.

Alaina Whitaker was a wonderful surprise. I don't recall her getting shown much during the auditions or Hollywood shows but this girl can sing! She also seems to have a really nice personality as well. Her face reminds me of Joss Stone.

Amanda Overmyer is a rock goddess and should easily make it into the Top 12. Of all the singers, male and female, she has the best combo of pro ready sound and image. We will definitely be seeing a lot more of her whether or not she wins or doesn't win AI. I think she's great. I knew that Simon wouldn't get her scatting or the song and there's just something wrong with a judge who doesn't know the songs the contestants are doing (how does he judge its comparison?) and doesn't like or understand certain genres like country and R&B?

Amy Davis was good but the song she picked was too slow and became forgettable. She also looked a bit sick so that may have hurt her vocals a bit.

I love Brooke White and her bubbly, happy-go-lucky personality. I thought she lost a little in her voice shen she went higher but she should be safe. Simon's obsession that she is too nice was such a stupid waste of time. Here they are telling some of the other girls to be themselves and then they are trying to change Brooke from who she is. I guess Simon is one of those that walks through life cynically and with a cloud over their heads. As for me, I'm a glass is half full person and I like Brooke's positivity!

Unfortunately I have to agree with Simon about Alexandrea Lushington. I just didn't get her vocals or performance and thought it was a bit trying too hard (which is a pet peeve of mine). I also wasn't crazy about her attitude, seemed a bit too full of herself and over-confident.

I really liked Kady Malloy and didn't like Simon's attack on her. Comparing her personality to a pencil wasn't funny, it was just flat out rude and mean.

I like Asia'h Epperson and I want to see her get into the Top 12 as a tribute to her Dad. She has a nice husky voice that reminds me of Toni Braxton. I don't know if the pop songs that get used on AI will help her to really showcase her vocals but I want to see her in the Top 12 so she can show us what she's got.

Besides Amanda, Ramiele Malubay is my 2nd favorite. She's a cutie and she can sing too! She easily makes it into the Top 12. I look forward to seeing and hearing lots more from Ramiele.

I like Syesha Mercado and really was looking forward to her performance but hearing it left me flat. I thought she just oversang the heck out of the song and it didn't do anything for me.

Carly Smithson was good but I also felt she oversang her song just to show off how strong her voice is. She has a lot of potential but she'll have to tone it down a bit to let her vocals really shine.

All in all, I was much more impressed with the guys (which is rare, since the girls are usually so much better). I think Amanda, Carly and Ramiele can give David Archuleta a run for his money but as of now, I still think that he is the front-runner.

So, who goes home tonight from the girls? Hmm, I'll say Joanne and Amy.

No comments: