Thursday, February 28, 2008

Semi-finals Night 2 - the girls

Well, the girls came, they sang and I was still under-whelmed with the singing this week. :(

Not that any of the singing this week by the guys and gals was bad. It wasn't, in fact there was a lot of solid singing but outside of David Archuleta no one was great.

Carly Smithson opened with a nice, solid rendition of a Heart song but she can do so much more it seems yet hasn't picked a song IMO that has really let her shine. She has the potential though. I agree with Simon that Carly, Ramiele and David are the Top 3.

Syesha Mercado once again under-whelmed me. I want to like her but showing her as an actress did little to make me accept her and like her more.

Brooke White picked a perfect song and style for her. She even looked a bit like Carly Simon. Her singing was solid and the song fit her and her vocals great.

This was not the best song or night for Ramiele Malubay. I didn't think the song let her shine much until she got to the bigger notes of it. It seems she over-analyzed her song selection based on internet talk calling her Ramiele Lullaby (which is a cute nickname IMO) and that led her away from a strength that helps her show her big vocals.

Kristy Lee Cook was good, although her performing was a little stiff.

Amanda Overmyer is a favorite of mine but beyond the cool pants she had on, I didn't like anything else including her hair. Her voice was solid but the song selection was pretty bad since it did little to show her range.

Contrary to the judges, I really liked Alaina Whitaker's vocals and song pick.

Alexandria Lushington again did nothing for me with her vocals, attitude or saying in her pre-performance clip how she is an underdog. I don't know how she is saying that when not only was she picked to the top 12 girls but was also raved about by Randy and Paula last week.

I really like Kady Malloy and I agree that she loses something when she performs. She is a very pretty girl with a great smile yet she gets flat when she gets in front of the camera. She has a Britney style and look to her that even extends to when she is just listening to the judges critiques. If you've ever really watched Britney do an interview, etc. she is "on" when she is talking but the minute she stops talking she gets this "bored" look to her face. It's not true boredom but just that look of it and Kady is doing the same thing. Not good, she needs to turn it up and show more of this personality that she has. Could it be that all the great imitating that she does has left her with little know-how on how to show her own personality? I don't know but I hope she can turn it around. C'mon Kady!

I liked Asia'h Epperson's performance. She struggled a bit (and we were told after just how sick she had been all week) at the beginning but she turned it up and left it all out there on the stage. Kudos to Asia'h!

Picking the 2 that will go home from the girls this week is just as hard as it was picking the 2 guys that might go home. I will say though that I think Alexandrea and (sniff, sniff) Kady will go home.

No comments: