Friday, February 29, 2008

Semi-finals Wk.2 eliminations

Well, another night and another 4 eliminated.

I was 2 for 4 again, although technically I could be 3 for 4! ;)

I liked Jason Yaeger but this is a guy that wasn't really shown in the weeks leading up to the semi-finals so he faced an uphill battle right there. I'm glad that even Simon gave him props for his vocals and I hope he continues on his musical path.

I was a little surprised to see Robbie Carrico go. In the past 2 weeks I thought that Idol watchers would vote for certain guys based on looks and age and that's why I have said those that I have said. What I have noticed with this season's crop of singers is that the judges did an awesome job of finding 24 really good singers. There are no Sanjaya's in this bunch. The AI audience has responded by being more serious with their voting as well. That usually doesn't happen until later into the show when there are less contestants but with the contestants all being good then there really aren't many bad decisions that can be made regarding the singers with less talent moving into the Top 12. Anyway, with news all over the net that wannabe rocker Robbie's hair was a wig and with the judges saying that they didn't feel convinced that he was a rocker, it seems that the fans also took note of this and weren't convinced of his vocals and hair either.

Alexandrea being voted out was the right call IMO. I don't think she was the underdog she made herself out to be since the judges really liked her and her performances BUT I do think that she created the image of being an underdog not only in her head but in the fans heads as well. That wound up working against her. I like that she saw David Archuleta being so upset over her being eliminated and went over to him to give him a big hug. Very nice of her.

Alaina and Cady were the other 2 of the bottom 3 and I was not happy with that. I totally expected Cady to go and it looks like Cady did as well. I was very suprised to see Alaina go. I felt really bad for her that she didn't think she could sing afterwards. I've always wondered how and why (besides contractual obligations) someone would sing the song that got them eliminated. I'm glad that the girls (Asia'h in particular) got her to sing. Way to go Alaina. I think that Ryan and Paula were correct in saying that this is only the beginning of her musical career now that she has had AI exposure. I can easily seeing her getting an offer from "Grease" on Broadway ( http://www.greaseonbroadway.com/ ) as she probably now has more exposure than the winner of the Grease show. She can also sing, is young and is blonde - she's tailor-made to be Sandy on Broadway. I hope Broadway comes calling.

Finally, I was really happy to see that Ryan made fun of Simon for his Bullwinkle impersonation! Simon said it was a code but IMO it's just childish and unprofessional to be doing that. Leave stuff like that for off camera. Sigh, its going to be a long season with Simon. I'm glad the singers are all so good!

No comments: