Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Semi-finals Night 1 - the guys

First off I'll say that I agree with the judges choices for the final 12 guys and of the final 12 girls I would've kept the girl with the disabled daughter.

So, last night the guys did Round 1 of the semi-finals and they brought it! I think of all the seasons of American Idol (and I have watched them all!), this is the best semi-finals group of guys ever.

Simon was back to his annoying and smug self which was rather annoying. Randy gave out a lot of great advice last night and I usually find myself agreeing with him. I guess its the producer in me that sees things from the same perspective he does. Paula looked sleepy last night but her advice was pretty right on last night as well.

When did AI begin to do theme nights on the semi-finals? Very strange and strange to use up a theme so early on. Oh well.

Onto the guys and my thoughts on their performances.

David Hernandez - this guy can sing! His image is on the plain side which is why I think that Simon is not crazy about him but his singing should take him into the Top 12.

Chikezie was pretty good. I liked his old school R&B. He got extra points from me for his comeback to Simon on who dressed him - Charlie Chaplin? LOL! Great comeback! He was a little too defensive to the criticism though and that might wind up hurting him for votes.

David Cook is ok. Something about him doesn't do it for me though. He looks like he's trying to sound like Daughtry but he performs like Constantine.

Jason Yeager was pretty good. I would like to see him make it for his son. Cute kid! Reminds me of Steve Irwin's (R.I.P.) daughter Bindi! :)

I expected more from Robbie Carrico. I didn't think his performance was very good but he has a lot of potential.

I am predicting right now that there is no guy that can beat David Archuleta! This kid is amazing and humble to boot! He seems shy and a little dorky and that reminds me of me. Dorky and talented, a great combo IMO! :D

I like Danny Noriega! His Elvis song was good! I could do without his pants riding low in the back but he gave it a good go! Is it just me or does he remind anyone else of Ugly Betty's Justin? :D
Simon was a bit much with his critique on Danny.

Luke Menard was good but his song was too safe and I have to admit that Simon was right when he said it was forgettable. Unfortunately that might get him sent home on Thursday.

Colton was good. I like his personality and think that he would be a good addition to the Top 12. He has a good voice as well.

Garrett Haley was nice and along with Colton looked like they were right off a Tiger Beat cover somewhere. Garrett seems like a nice guy but I think his voice needs more strength and more confidence.

Jason Castro was very good. Very bold performance and he pulled it off excellently. He easily makes the Top 12.

Michael Johns is like David Cook in that he doesn't do much for me but last night he brought it home with the Doors song. Good vocals and performance!

Well, that's my thoughts on last night's show and the performances. My guess would be that Chikezie and Luke go home Thursday night.

Bring on the ladies tonight! Let's see what they got!

No comments: