Wednesday, March 14, 2012

American Idol - Idol kicks off a contestant!

With the news breaking all over the net the night before of Jermaine being kicked off the show for lying to producers, tonight's show was a must see for Idol fans. Ryan started show with the news that would be discussed later in the show. For now it was time to get on with the show. I would've preferred they handle it and dismiss it right off the bat but whatever, in the end he was kicked off and it didn't matter when they talked about it.

The theme of the night was songs from the contestant's birth year.

This week's mentor was Will.I.am who has always shown himself in the past to be a good mentor with great advice and motivating words for the contestants.

My TV had some sort of interference issue for the first 1/2 hour so the first 3 performances were hard to hear.

Phil began the show. In rehearsal, he told Will and Iovine that he needed surgery for kidney stones and wasn't feeling well. He still wound up impressing them. Will was very impressed with rehearsal. Sang "Hard to handle" by The Black Crowes. Did a good job. I think. Lol.

Jessica was next and sang "Turn the beat around" by Gloria Estefan. Her performance was very strong. It seemed like she tried to do too much with the notes. Judges didn't like the song choice.

Heejun sang "Right here waiting" by Richard Marx which is one of my all-time favorite songs by a favorite male singer of mine. Randy didn't like it, he felt it was the wrong song and pitchy. JLo thought he fought through the song but loved the end. Steve thought he didn't have enough breath and that it was a bad song for him. Heejun didn't seem to have a good night.

Got my TV sound back!

Just in time for Elise! She sang "Let's stay together". Love her rasp! She had a nice ending. I thought she did good although I still don't think this is the right style for her.

Deandre sang "Endless love" by Luther & Mariah. Changed from "Can you feel the love" by Iovine and Will because they felt his song choice was not good. I didn't like it, I felt it lacked energy. Judges didn't agree with the song choice. They felt it was too safe.

Shannon sang "One sweet day" by Mariah and Boyz II Men. Sounded good but something was off to me. She just doesn't hit the notes the right way for some reason. It doesn't help that she keeps picking big songs.

Colton sang "Broken Heart" by White Lion! You know I love my 80s hair metal bands so I thought it was real cool that he picked this song to do. He sounded good but it felt like the song was too big for the band. It barely rocked. LOL! Steve hated it. Randy felt it was all Colton though.

Erika sang "Heaven" by Bryan Adams. I thought that was a real good song choice for her but some reason it came across as sounding dark. There was also way too much going on behind and around her with the stage screens. Too distracting. She looked great.

We saw the video of the producers talking to Jermaine about his issues and why he's being kicked off the show. I have to agree with the producers. Rules are rules and you can't try to bend them because it's a big opportunity. Desperation unfortunately makes people make bad decisions. Hopefully he learns from this and can get all his problems behind him.

Skylar sang "Love sneaking up on you" by Bonnie Raitt. Iovine felt it wasn't enough song for her and after seeing her perform it I can see what he meant. However, she sounded really good and rocked it anyway! I really love her energy. I look forward to her performances, that's the mark of a good artist.

Joshua looked to redeem himself from last week and sang "When a man loves a woman" by Michael Bolton. I'm a big Bolton fan, especially that era in his career so I was looking to see how Joshua did this song. He was really good! Great performance!! Had the judges and audience standing, he had the performance of the night.

Hollie ended the show with "The power of love" by Celine Dion. Big song but little Hollie is bold and took it on and delivered! The band arrangement wasn't all that good but she rose above it.

So, who goes home? I think no one will go home because they already lost a contestant this week. We'll see tomorrow!

No comments: