Wednesday, March 7, 2012

American Idol - The top 13 sing

Time for the real competition to begin as the Idol hopefuls sing for our votes. It was a good night of some really good performances, some great performances and unfortunately one crash and burn performance. To start off we were told that since there was 13 contestants that tomorrow's result would show the bottom male and the bottom female. The judges would decide who goes home from those two. The judges will have some blood on their hands this season. Lol.

This week's theme was a Whitney tribute for the girls and Stevie Wonder for the guys. This week's mentor was Mary J Blige who gave real good advice and motivation to the contestants throughout the rehearsals.

Joshua sang "I wish". I thought the performance was good but I wasn't a fan of the screaming and growling of the lyrics. You don't need to try to outdo Stevie Wonder.

Elise was going to sing "The greatest love of all" but Iovine wasn't feeling it (and rightfully so, it was too much of a song to take on for Elise) and he suggested she change it to "I'm your baby". Elise wasn't sure of doing it since she didn't know the song. It was a decent but unspectacular performance. Not what the Elise needed, considering her confidence looked shaken before even performing.

Jermaine sang "Knocks me off my feet" and I really liked it! I thought he showed a lot of soul and heart in his vocals and performance. The judges felt he needed to connect more but I didn't get that since I thought he had.

Erika sang "I believe in you and me". She looked like a long-time pro up there. The richness of her tone was so good. I really liked her understated performance, it just let the song's lyrics shine.

Colton sang "Lately". I really didn't like it. I found it hard to understand what he was singing because he was slurring his words and transitions. It's just his style and how it clashed with this song. Maybe another type of arrangement would've worked better for him.

Shannon sang "I have nothing" but the song was too big for her and by the end she didn't have enough breath to properly do the words and even had her voice cracking in some parts. Was only ok to start and got worse as the song wore on.

Deandre sang "Master blaster". I really liked it and he sang most of the song in his full voice which is what I wanted to hear.

Skylar sang "Where do broken hearts go". In rehearsals with Iovine and Mary J, she showed she could adjust on the fly to their direction. That was impressive. She keeps showing me new things about her talent each time I see her. I thought this song might be too big for her but she took it on and made it her own. She just brings this real cool energy to her songs. I couldn't believe the notes that were coming out of her and the ones she went for and hit. I really like her.

Heejun sang "All is fair in love". It was a good, solid performance but I think it will be overshadowed by the other performances of the night.

Hollie sang "All the man I need". This girl can sing!! The judges said afterwards that we may wind up with a two girl finale (they already have Jessica in the finale I see, as do I)

Jeremy sang "Ribbon in the sky". It was a good vocal if rather unspectacular performance.

Jessica is fearless and took on the ultimate Whitney song "I will always love you". She sang an almost note for note version. I can't see her ever being in the bottom 2 and easily see her the winner of this season. There's still a lot of singing to do though...

Phil sang and performed "Superstition". It was a very good rocking way to end the show.

So who makes the bottom 2? I think Shannon will be in the bottom for the girls and Jeremy for the guys. This will be a hard choice for the judges no matter who is in that bottom 2 but if these indeed are the two then I think they'll opt to save Shannon. I won't be happy to see Jeremy go.

No comments: