Wednesday, March 21, 2012

American Idol takes on Billy Joel

Tonight was Billy Joel theme night. I'm a big Billy Joel fan so I was looking forward to seeing how the Idols handled his songs and what songs they chose. Steve Tyler made a comment that if you can't sing a Billy Joel then you can't sing... would that be an omen I wondered.

Tonight's mentor was Diddy. I was happy to see Diddy (I really respect what he has created for himself with his businesses). He had really good advice to give.

Deandre went first and did one of my favorite Billy Joel songs "Only the good die young". Diddy & Iovine said if he doesn't have fun with the song he will be DOA on stage. He took the advice too literally and was a little too bouncy all over the stage. I don't think the advice helped. He was just ok.

Erika sang "NY state of mind". Diddy told her to think like a NYer to sing this song. Hilfiger had her get a short punk cut and dyed her hair black. She looked very different. I'm not sure if I like it though. She sounded solid.

Joshua sang "She's got a way". Hilfiger told him to dress up more, I agree that he should. Diddy told him to pull back on the screaming which I definitely agree with. Joshua can definitely sing but I can only take so much once he begins his screaming. Joshua wasn't confidant since he didn't know the song. Why pick it then? Diddy told him to be present in the song and connect. Great advice. His lack of confidence in his song choice showed as he was pitchy & all over the place.

Skylar sang "Shameless". She was starstruck with Diddy. They told her to not force the song. Hilfiger tried to dress her like a country star. She did it the way Garth Brooks did it and it was solid and good.

Elise sang "Vienna". Diddy was worried she's doing a song no one knows. I don't even know this song! Definitely a risky choice. She felt it was the right song though. Hilfiger told her to stop the layered look. She was right and did a nice job.

Phillip sang "I'm moving out". Hilfiger said he needs help with his look. Said his style is all wrong, doesn't look like a star. I agree but Phillip seems resistant to looking more like a star. He may not like it but image is important in this business. Diddy took away his guitar & took him out of his comfort zone. He was resistant to that too. I thought the song had a really bad arrangement. He's really beginning to get one-dimensional with his look and performances. He should show more progress before the others leave him behind.

Hollie sang "Honesty". Hilfiger agrees with Iovine that she has been dressed too old. Diddy and Iovine helped her connect to the song. She was good but there were a few pitchy moments. Judges felt that she was over-thinking. I agree.

Heejun sang "My life". Told Diddy he was upset with last week's criticism. Got good advice about learnign to be thick-skinned. Diddy commented that he's having a hard time believing him since he doesn't seem to take things seriously. I agree, if he doesn't show he's serious then why would anyone want to take him seriously? He needs to get with the program. Hilfiger also felt he wasn't taking things seriously. He had an interesting start to the song but I liked it, it worked. I found him very good this week.

Jessica sang "Everybody has a dream". Told Hilfiger she likes to wear a dress. Diddy told her to pull back so he can believe her. To stop the tricks and respect the song. She took everything Diddy said and brought it.

Colton sang "Piano man". Told Hilfiger he wants his own style but wants it to be edgy. Hilfiger told him to work on his hair after he's picked his outfit which was sound advice but Colton mentioned feeling as if his hair was discredited?! Really?! Diddy loved it. He did a real good job.

Who do I think will be in the bottom 3? Deandre, Erika and Joshua. I think Erika goes home.

No comments: