Monday, February 6, 2012

The Voice is back! Night 1 of auditions!

The first episode of the new season of the Voice premiered right after the Superbowl, talk about a ratings lead-in!

Before I go on, although I'm a NY Jets fan I did root for the hometown Giants in the Superbowl. Great game, that ending was intense!! Also, on a side note - I'm more of a baseball fan so I usually watch the Superbowl for the half-time show and the commercials. Madonna totally rocked it. She still has it and looked great. I found the Doritos and M&Ms commercials funny and was mesmerized by the Avengers trailer. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Ok... back to The Voice...

I thought RaeLynn was good and had a nice look. Adam & Blake turned for her, Blake won the first contestant of the new season.

Like Javier Colon last year in the commercials, I found myself wanting to see single dad Jesse Campbell's audition based on the preview in the commercial. He's 42 and has had it real rough but yet hasn't given up on his dream. I totally admire that and his spirit. He has an amazing voice. All the judges turned and Xtina won which I thought was a perfect fit.

Daniel Rosa went next. He was lacking confidence and I worried what would happen if he didn't do well. He has a nice voice but his nerves were definitely showing through. His lack of confidence didn't help him and it didn't help that as he kept singing no one turned for him. I didn't like that the coaches didn't have any critique for him until he decided to step up and ask for some. It takes a lot of guts to do what he did and I hope he continues working on his voice and confidence. I hope he doesn't give up on his voice.

Rocker Juliet Simms was next. I liked her style and the raspiness in her voice. Everyone but Blake turned for her and while I thought she would go with Adam, she went with Cee Lo.

Classical singer Chris Mann was next and he has a very strong voice. Cee Lo & Xtina turned for him. I like what they asked him and I liked his answer that he just wants to be himself after years of trying to fit his voice into a box. That's what shows like this can do. Expose non-mainstream voices to the mainstream and establish a new mainstream. I'm glad Xtina won because they will make a good fit.

Former Mickey Mouse Club member Tony Lucca went last. He was a castmate of Xtina's and she didn't seem to recognize him or if she did, she played it professionally and didn't say anything until backstage when she sought him out. Anyway, I thought he has a really good voice. All the judges turned for him. Adam won his first contestant of the season.

Good strong opening to the first night of the Voice! Can't wait to see more.

No comments: