Wednesday, April 4, 2012

American Idol takes on the 80s

Last night AI took on the 80s and since I feel the 80s had the best music of any era, I was looking forward to hearing some good music, hopefully done well! For the most part, I got my wish.

No Doubt's Gwen Stefani and Tony Kanal were the mentors for this week. They did an ok job with the mentoring. Not as good as some of the other mentors this season so far but still good.

Deandre went first and sang "I like it" by Debarge. I think that was a real good song choice for him. Gwen and Iovine felt he needed to be more confident in his voice and performance. I was happy to see that he used all his voice instead of just his falsetto which is something I've been wanting to hear from him. He was very good!

Elise was next, she was going to sing "Hallelujah" but Iovine asked for her alternate song which was a Foreigner song. Gwen and Tony loved it and told her she should do this song, Iovine also thought it was a good song choice. She listened to their advice and sang Foreigner's "I want to know what love is". Gwen, Tony and Iovine were wrong. I was not crazy about the note choices she made in the song. I agree with the judges that although she sounded strong, she also sounded pitchy and off throughout the song. It was a bad song choice, she should've trusted her gut. I think she would've done a great job with her original song choice.

Colton and Skylar sang "Islands in the stream". Skylar sounded real good. Colton sounded good.

Phillip sang "That's all" by Genesis. He was admittedly very rough in rehearsal but they were all confident he would hammer it out by last night. I guess he did but my issue with Phillip now is that he is becoming very one-dimensional and not showing enough coloring or the proper emotions for the song. He sang with way too much angst for this song. The Judges loved it and I think they are so enamored with him that they are overlooking things he can improve. With just a little constructive criticism, I think he can be even better than he is.

Deandre and Hollie sang "I'm so excited". They both sounded good and had fun with the song which was good to see, especially for Hollie.

Joshua sang "If you don't know me by now" by Simply Red. Gwen told him to hold back a bit. He sounded good but he also is becoming a bit one-dimensional and I think he could've really slayed it if he had concentrated more on the emotion of the song than on singing to impress. As with Phillip, the Judges loved it and aren't offering him any critique to help him progress into an even better performer.

Jessica sang "How will I know" by Whitney. Very good performance and great vocals. She is definitely the front-runner.

Phillip and Elise did "Stop dragging my heart around". It was pretty good. Good to see Phillip without his guitar.

Hollie sang "What a feeling" from Flashdance. Iovine told her to give it the right emotion. She rushed a little bit through it and tried to do too much. It was as the judges said, she was trying to take all the advice she's gotten and put it all into effect while she's trying to sing. She's definitely got the voice. Now she just needs to let the music take her and let her perform from that standpoint.

Joshua and Jessica did "I knew you were waiting". Sounded good together.

Colton sang "Time after time" by Cyndi Lauper. Gwen sang harmony with him in rehearsal and they sounded great together. He sounded really good, I really loved the note choices and the arrangement of the song. It was very cool that he gave credit where credit was due on the arrangement being from another group he's heard do this song. That's more than some artists in past seasons have done. Kudos to him on his honesty.

Skylar sang "Wind beneath my wings" by Bette Midler. Wow. She touched me with her vocals and performance. She was definitely worthy of her show closing slot and definitely had her "moment" last night.

So, who goes home tonight? The remaining contestants are all doing very well so it's not an easy task to guess the bottom 3 but if I had to guess I would try to base it on past bottom 3s and say that Deandre, Elise and Hollie will be in the bottom 3 with Hollie going home. :(

No comments: