Wednesday, April 25, 2012

American Idol takes on Queen

The show began with a Queen retrospective. As you all know or should know by now, I'm a huge Queen/Freddie Mercury fan so the Idols better be good tonight! Lol. We got to see that the Idols met with Brian May and Roger Taylor. They then did a medley of Fat bottomed girls, Another one bites the dust, We will rock you and We are the Champions.

Jessica opened the show by singing the iconic "Bohemian Rhapsody". I didn't think anyone would try that song. I found that the lyrics were too old for her. She was good but her credibility on this song was problematic IMO.

Skylar sang "The show must go on". I've always found this song so courageous and tragic considering the circumstances behind it. I didn't think that she would be able to feel the emotion of the song but she sounded great though.

Joshua sang "Crazy little thing called love". I found that he was just screaming through the song as if he thought that is what you should do with a rock song. I didn't like it.

Elise sang "I want it all". Sounded good on the verses and got stronger as it went on.

Phillip sang "Fat bottomed girls". Performance-wise I just didn't get it with his facial expressions. Just more of the same to me.

Hollie sang "Save me". Looked great. Sounded really good.

With that, round 1 of Queen songs was over. I think Skylar won round 1. Round 2 was up next with the Idols doing songs that meant something to them.

Jessica sang "Dance with my father" by Luther Vandross as a touching tribute to her Dad who is a soldier and is leaving on assignment in a few days. Wonderful. She felt every word.

Skylar sang "Tattoos on this town" by Jason Aldean. Not crazy about the arrangement. Was only ok.

Joshua sang "Ready for love"(?). Sounded good.

Elise sang a song by Jimi Hendrix. Sounded good but the obscure song probably didn't help her.

Phillip sang a song by Dave Mathews. Good but obscure as well.

Hollie sang "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. Really good.

I would give the second round to Jessica with Hollie a close second.

It was a mixed bag of performances tonight so tomorrow's results show can go a lot of different ways but if I had to pick a bottom 3, I would say Elise, Phillip and Joshua with Elise going home.

No comments: